Sky and Psyche
The Relationship Between Cosmos and Consciousness
by Contributors Various
The relationship between the human soul and the stars has been central to the spiritual and esoteric traditions of Western thought, and many other cultures, for thousands of years. Medieval Christians thought that heaven was located above the earth, beyond the stars. Our modern society, however, has largely severed the relationship between the human spirit and the sky.
This book explores ideas, beliefs and practices which meet at the boundary of psychology and cosmology, the universe and human imagination. This book addresses this special relationship from a variety of challenging and inspiring approaches.
The contributors include James Hillman, the founder of archetypal psychology and Jungian analyst; astrologer Liz Greene; Professor Neville Brown of Mansfield College, Oxford; Nicholas Pearson of the Temenos Academy; Professor Jarita Holbrook of the University of Arizona; Dr Angela Vos of the University of Kent; Bernadette Brady; Jules Cashford; Noel Cobb, the former editor of Sphinx; Cherry Gilchrist; Robert Hand; and Professor Richard Tarnas of the California Institute of Integral Studies.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Sky and Psyche: Heaven and Soul by Nicholas Campion
Part I: The Alchemical Sky
1. Love and the Alchemical Saturn by Liz Greene
2. The Azure Vault: The Caelum as Experience by James Hillman
Part II: Sky and Psyche
3. Chartres Cathedral and the Role of the Sun in the Cathedral's Christian Platonist Theology by Bernadette Brady
4. Life Across the Cosmos by Neville Brown
5. Imagining Eternity: Weaving 'The Heavens' Embroidered Cloths' by Jules Cashford
6. The Soul of the Sky by Noel Cobb
7. The Russian Spirit of Place by Cherry Gilchrist
8. A Dimensional Model for the Relationship of Consciousness and Cosmos: Mathematical Abstraction versus Conscious Experience by Robert Hand
9. Sun Gods and Moon Deities in Africa by Jarita C. Holbrook
10. Where the Heavens Meet the Earth: Inspirations from the Lives of Carl Jung, Jalal-u-din Rumi and Mahatma Ghandi by Nicholas Pearson
11. Understanding the Modern Disenchantment of the Cosmos by Richard Tarnas
12. The Secret Life of Statues by Angela Voss
Publisher: Floris Books
Dimensions: 15.6 x 23.4 x 2.5cm